Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad
May I just gush for a second over this amazing salad my husband created for our last Dinner in the Field? The idea came to him after we had been traveling around VA, meeting farmers and sampling as many ingredients as we could get our hands on. After our trip, Gregorio compiled all of our favorite local ingredients into one unique dish. Each ingredient is allowed to shine through, not crushing one another to get to the top, but rising in a collaboration to lift each other up.
Recipe serves 8:
Ingredients for Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 head Baquieu French Heirloom Lettuce
- 1 head Grand Hadley's American Heirloom Lettuce
- 1 head Mervielle French Heirloom Lettuce
- 3 cups fresh picked strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup fresh crumbled goat cheese
- 4 cups walnuts
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbsp local honey
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
Directio ns for Candied Walnuts
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, add 4 cups walnut halves, 1 cup sugar, and 4 Tbsp unsalted butter.
- Heat and stir constantly for 5 minutes, until the butter/sugar/nut mixture turns toasty brown.
- Quickly transfer from the pan to parchment paper and separate the nuts immediately. Let cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to the salad.
Directions for Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Remove the green tops from the strawberries.
- Blend strawberries, honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt together in a blender until smooth.
Directions for Assembling Salad
- Slice 3 cups strawberries.
- Tear lettuce into strips, add candied walnuts and small marble sized bits of goat cheese to the salad.
- Add half of the sliced strawberries to the salad.
- Mix salad, adding small amounts of the vinaigrette until the salad is evenly coated to your taste.
- Plate salad mixture and top each plate with 3 – 4 slices of strawberry
Local Farms List:
- Lettuce - Beauchamp Farms
- Strawberries ‐ Agriberry
- Goat Cheese ‐ Caromont Farm
- Walnuts ‐ Ayshire Farm
- Honey ‐ Bright Hope Farm & Apiary